To create the greatest possible economic benefit and value for Somaliland citizens by managing the exploration and exploitation of the country’s petroleum resources in a prudent manner and environmentally safe and responsible way.
Function, Role & Responsibilities
- Initiate, promote and manage geological and geophysical surveys to be completed on all Somaliland onshore and off shore territories to identify, map and delineate the nation’s hydrocarbon resources.
- Promote Somaliland oil and gas sector through the identification of blocks and data packages; organize road shows and bid rounds in the country and abroad
- Draft and review of oil and gas legal framework
- Issue licences to oil companies
- Entering and managing Petroleum Exploration and Production Sharing Agreements (PEPSA) with the oil companies that are operating in Somaliland.
- Oversee and monitor petroleum exploration activities to ensure compliance with PEPSA terms and with the relevant Somaliland law.
- Acquire, process, interpret, collect, safeguard and properly manage petroleum technical data in order to establish a reliable reference and resource for Somaliland’s petroleum hydrocarbon deposits.
- Promote the training and capacity building of Somaliland nationals in all aspects of the petroleum industry operational activities.
- Enhance public understanding on hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation and establish strong cooperative relationship with crosscutting organization and communities and upholding inclusiveness.