The vision of the Ministry of Energy and Minerals is to contribute to Somaliland’s social and economic development through the sustainable utilisation of the country’s energy, minerals and petroleum resources for the benefit of all Government of Somaliland people by 2030.
The mission of the Ministry of Energy and Minerals is to establish, direct and promote the sustainable utilisation of Government of Somaliland’s energy, minerals and petroleum resources to support the country’s social and economic development through the development and implementation of policies, strategies and programs that guide, facilitate and coordinate the work of government and all other stakeholders in the energy, minerals and petroleum sectors.
The Mandate Law defines the mandate of the Ministry as follows:
“While fulfilling its roles and responsibilities to protection and exploit the country’s natural resources, the mandate of the MoEM are as follows
- Formulation of the national policy towards the exploration of the natural resources of the country
- Exploitation of the hydroelectric and other power sources of renewable energy
- Developing initiatives for oil exploration, minerals and other natural resources
- Protection, exploitation and management of the natural resources of the country
- Development and implementation of the policies and strategies to develop energy power generation.
- Designing and executing regulatory standards for electricity power generation needed in urban and rural areas.
- Development, facilitation, and promotion of renewable energy and other natural resources for the use by the people of Somaliland
- Issuing licences to oil companies
- Development research on energy technologies
- Designing and execution of regulatory standards for electricity power generation needed in urban and rural areas.
- Issuing permission license to oil and minerals surveying companies
- Development and implementation of the policies and strategies to develop energy power generation
- Any other duties specified in the country laws.” In line with discussions and actual practices in recent years, the following elements may be added
- Issuing of licenses to Electricity Service Providers (ESPs) (adjusted by Presidential Decree).
- Issuing of licenses to minerals extracting companies (as per current practice)
- Monitoring and enforcing the proper utilisation of licenses by energy, minerals or petroleum companies.
- Environmental Sustainability
- Innovation and Creativity
- Research and Development
- Gender Equity
Develop and implement strategies, policies and legislation to create and support an enabling environment to attract investment in the development of Somaliland’s petroleum and mineral resources and promote and monitor the development of the country’s energy sector.
Regulate, monitor, evaluate and manage the activities of energy, mining and oil companies operating in Somaliland to ensure the resources are developed and exploited in a sustainable and responsible way.
Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor initiatives by international, national and sub-national stakeholders in the energy, mining and petroleum sectors